Saturday, April 2, 2011

Walk With Me

Sometimes it makes me feel queasy when you tell me that you look up to me. It's not like I'm taller than you, because I'm not. Sometimes I don't know if you're bluffing, because I never see myself as someone to emulate or look up to. I don't think I've lived an exemplary or extraordinary life. I don't think I've done any better than the next Juan. I have my faults and shortcomings. I have my failures. I have all these deficiencies that make me human, flawed and imperfect. I have my own struggles and disappointments just like everyone else.

This is a partnership and I'd like to think we're on equal footing. Maybe we have our differences, but it doesn't make one of us any lesser or greater than the other. My strengths maybe your weaknesses and your strengths maybe my weaknesses. But you're no less wonderful than I am.

I'd like to, one day, be there for you. To take your hand and ask you to simply walk with me. I need you beside me. Not ahead of me, not behind me. I'd like to know how it feels to hold your hand, to face the world together and make our dreams come true. 

I was trying to recall a song I know. It somehow sums up what I feel at the moment.

Walk with me quiet, walk with me slow. With watered down coffee and words of gold. I can feel the edges of these things when I hear you speak to me, so walk with me.

Walk with me empty, walk with me strong. The hush of our voices when the day seems so long. It is like a balm; it is like a jewel. It unravels all I thought I knew.

At the end of the day, what matters to me is that I am with you. So walk with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment