Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Spotlight Shining

Recently, I've been listening to this song again and I thought how the first stanza (the one sung by the girl) was quite appropriate for you saying it to me--since I don't really know how to dance. Also, because I like the idea of the lyrics. For most, if not all, of my adult life I've been pretty much on my own. I had learned how to fend for myself and fumble my way through the world without anyone leading me. I was used to the independence, of not having anyone holding my hand and spinning me around. I had all these walls around me, because I could not allow myself to fall down--because who would catch me if I fall?

But you dance really well and I feel that I can let you take the lead. I don't have to be so much in control of my life, because there's someone--you--who can hold my hand. I can relax a little, let my guards down, because you won't let me fall down.

Like what the guy said in the song--suddenly, I'm feeling brave. I guess the strength comes from knowing that you're around. And you're with me to make all these plans, dreams and aspirations we have come true. For the past month, we've been making plans, not just vague promises, but concrete ones of the next steps for us. There's comfort in knowing that we both have the same plans and we want the same things.

This is really all about us. Not just me, not just you. But us, chasing dreams and making plans. I'm happy that we're going somewhere and we're making the steps together to get to the place of where we want to be. I love how you learn from me and I learn from you; how your weakness is my strength and my strength is your weakness. I love that we can both be strong together, but we don't allow ourselves to be weak at the same time. I love our differences, the way they make us interesting to each other. I love the little things and the big things in our relationship, the sleeping and waking moments together, our fancy dinners and the quieter, simpler ones. I feel we're doing--and getting--this right.


No comments:

Post a Comment