Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Leaps

Because this doesn't happen very often.

It's been fourteen months since you leapt--where were you at that time?--from bed to floor or chair to floor to stairs, from the second floor to the first floor to get some water because you couldn't breathe. I could imagine you rushing down, skipping steps and bounding up again after you drank. Maybe in your mad dash you missed a step or hesitated before a foot landed on something solid. I don't know, I imagine things.


It was a leap of faith and love for both of us; to go down this road that, at times, can be hard, but has its share of spectacular moments. In those fourteen months, I flew to the Philippines; you flew to the US and together we've seen a bit of the world. Leaping from country to country, from city to city; driving, walking and getting lost. They provided us a glimpse of what's possible for us.

There's a kind of leaping, too, that I've observed; a kind of moving forward, of becoming better and growing in our relationship. You're different now than before, more aspirational, determined and focused. At this early, you're looking for future trips, not simply dreaming of them, but actually looking for plane fares or ways to convert your miles to tickets. You've learned to organize and plan for your family trip.

You've also taken a keener interest in photography, becoming something more than just a hobby, but an extension and expression of yourself. I always feel warm and happy, as though I am sitting by a fireplace, whenever you tell me of the photos you've taken and the technicalities of photography that you've learned, because I could sense your excitement, as though you're more alive, more vivid. It has become a better aspect of you, a craft you're willing to hone. I'm glad to witness what you are becoming.

There will be more leaps in the future, perhaps more gaps to conquer; more dreams to make real; more planes to hop on to and more of the world to see. But still the greatest leap you've ever made is deciding to be with me.

And for that I thank you.

1 comment:

  1. Well, thanks for asking if I want to be your boyfriend. :)

    ReplyDelete